Sunday, May 18, 2014

Common redpolls nesting

On April 17 I watched a redpoll leisurely feeding another. It looked like they were kissing. I took a few pics through the window in effort to capture what looked to be a most romantic courtship. 

Redpolls courting, Creighton, SK. April 17, 2014.

These redpolls hung around, so I kept an eye on them. Some days later (I didn't note which day exactly) I noticed there was only one redpoll visiting the feeder. It was feeding differently, essentially packing its face and leaving. This continued until today. Breeding and nesting information I found online reinforced my suspicion that they were nesting nearby. Last week H and I twice saw the redpoll fly to the bush across the street, which has the same general mix of willow, alder, poplar, birch and spruce as our yard. The face-packing visits continued.

Redpoll in yard, Creighton, SK. May 16, 2014.

This morning when the redpoll arrived at the feeder it was followed by this little guy.

Juvenile redpoll in yard, Creighton, SK. May 18, 2014.

Juvenile redpoll in yard, Creighton, SK. May 18, 2014.

Juvenile redpoll in yard, Creighton, SK. May 18, 2014.

I took pics from every angle, but I'll just post these for now. What an exciting morning!

No comments: